This post is a little late, but I’ve been taking the last few days as a transition between years. A lot happened in 2014, particularly in the second half. So, a few of the bigger events from the year:
- Increased hours at work. I went from 15 hours/week to 22 hours/week, just under a 50% increase! This bump in hours also means that…
- I now have a retirement fund! Anyone working more than 18 hours/week is enrolled in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), which is different from the bankrupt state pension. Because I had this at my last job, I am grandfathered into the better Tier, and already a few years towards being vested.
- I got a raise to go with my new hours and am no longer an On-Call position.
- Our library combined two departments, and as such, I have a new boss and a few new responsibilities including…
- I now teach computer classes at work.
- Girl Scouts is going well, and the girls this year are all great. I am struggling with communication with the parents, however. This is something that I will work on in 2015.
- We finally got the check engine light off and my car through emissions, but then it started pouring smoke on the way to a New Year’s Eve party, so that sucked.
- It was a great year for entertainment, and I discovered a few wonderful movies, many wonderful books, and some worthwhile TV series. I’ve found myself drawn to more non-fiction books and historical fiction television.
All in all, it was a really great year with a few bumps along the way to keep me alert. We ended the year with some time alone, time with good friends, great food, and generally prioritizing relaxation. I’m excited for the new challenges 2015 will bring. What was the best thing that happened to you in 2014?